There are a lot of 10,000-things experiences afoot in November.
First the Falmouth Soto Zen Sangha will have two members taking their vows on November 4, 2017 and one person, a disciple (at NOON) of the Suzuki lineage joining our Matsuroka (Silent Thunder) Order. This is a flower ceremony so please bring a few flowers to share…
In addition FSZS will also on the same day celebrate the Seventh Anniversary of our founding in 2010. We will have Zazenkai, ½ day of sitting from 6:30-11:00AM on the same day, at the UUFF on Old Sandwich Road. Then after our Jukai ceremony join us for lunch-about 12:30. A donation of $10 for the day would be welcomed.
Second, November is Founders Month for our Silent Thunder Order. It is the month that our founder Zengaku Matsuoka-roshi was born and died. In the USA, this is also a month of thanksgiving. During this month, Buddhists think about our ancestors and our life. In Zen we practice O’Higan, which is a chanting of the names of Buddhist ancestors in gratitude for their teachings. Each Tuesday night in November, we will discuss our lineage and practice.
Each November I ask that each of us make a special contribution to the Silent Thunder Order. You may write a check and give it to me or use the PayPal donation button on the STO or our FSZS website. Be sure to identify that it is from FSZS to Founders Month. Those giving $30 or more will receive a jizo statue-protector of travelers.
Third, I will be away from Falmouth from November 5 through December 7, 2017. I will be in residence at our mother Sangha in Georgia, the Atlanta Soto Zen Center. This residency is called Ango, and is the first of three 30-day intensives where I follow a semi-monastic life style. This will afford more study and practice. I will still be in touch through Dharma notes and lead our Tuesday night Dharma Discussion via SKYPE. Different members of FSZS will facilitate each Tuesday night so please join in. As always, feel free to drop me an email if you have questions. I will be keeping a journal of my experiences to share with you in various ways.
See you all on November 4.
Dharma Talk for Tuesday September 19, 2017 is ""A-Way "
As continued outreach in the Falmouth community, I will be working on a "Connectivity and Relationships" as a central feature of a group discussion fellowship on remaining sober and not using, as a path to address alcohol and drug abuse. More about this as it unfolds...
On Sunday October 29, we will discuss the first seven chapters of our Buddhism Book Bunch selection: Sit Down and Shut Up. Contact Koin Sue Eliason email@example.com for details, for our next meeting on December 9, 2017.
On Saturday November 4, 2017 will:
Have a Zazenkai from 6:30 AM until 11:00PM
11:00-11:45 we will prepare for three FSZS members to take Jukai or Precepts
12:00 Jukai conducted by Taiun-Roshi, via Skype from Atlanta
12:45 Lunch and Celebration of the 7th anniversary of the founding of FSZS
DATES SENSEI IS AWAY: Sangha Services will be lead by different members who have taken Jukai. In November I will be away on a 30 day Priest's Ango or teaching sesshin, but will SKYPE in Dharma Talks...
November 7, 14, 21 and 28
Our Beach sitting on the Bike-Path at Oyster Pond and Surf Drive has begun, from 6:30AM until 7:00AM then we all go to PIE-IN-THE SKY in Woods Hole for coffee.
1. Like String for Beads, is a compilation of my Dharma talks, notes, poems and Facebook comments I have produced over the last five years. Special thanks to Enjitsu-san Chris Charyk for pulling the pieces together in this book! There will be copies available every Tuesday night, or let me know if you want me to mail you a copy. The book is $15 per copy.
2. Visit our new library named for Diane “Yugen” Tucker. The cart was a donation to the Sangha by Kyoshin Elin Kinney as Dana for her Jukai on November 5, 2016…many bows! The books will be added over the next few weeks and Kyoshin-ni has agreed to be our Librarian. A donation of $1 is recommend to check out books and magazines for up to three weeks. It really is a cute cart drop-by and see it soon. Oh, we wheel it out each Tuesdays and for zazenkai and sesshin, or if you would like to see if we have a book you want, get in touch with Elin <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
3. Meditation is also held each TUESDAY at 10:00AM at the Falmouth Senior Center.
4. We are now using two months to read more deeply our BBB selections please keep this in mind: Our next Book is Sit-down and Shut-up, by Brad Warner: The book received mixed reviews. MetroActive stated "At times Warner comes off as pandering, with his cutesy pop-culture tangents and I-know-what-you're-thinking-right-now comments" while Buddhadharma ultimately summed the book up with "Too much of an adolescent rant for most Zen readers and too much of a middle-aged strut down memory lane for most punk readers, Sit Down and Shut Up will likely get an enthusiastic reception only from the small group of readers who already identify as Zen punks." Razorcake, however, stated "Irreverent, cocksure, glib, and wise, this is one damn good book."
5. Our Zendo is open at 6:30PM (good time for newcomers to get aquatinted) at the UUFF, 840 Sandwich Road, for our weekly service which starts at 7:00PM. Also feel free to stay afterwards to chat and or ask questions...